Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I Love Chili!

Here is another installment in my "freezer cooking" series. This is my favorite chili recipe:

(I am currently searching for the website where I got this - I will post once I find it)

- 2 lbs. ground beef, browned and drained
- 4 (19 oz) cans of beans (I usually use red kidney beans but you can use what you like)
- 4 (19 oz) cans of tomatoes ( I used crushed because I don't like chunks of tomatoes)
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt

Instructions:

Dump all ingredients into a big bowl and mix.


Separate mixture into 3 large freezer zipper bags. I like to put my bag into some kind of tall container for this part (see pic) because it is easier and less messy.

Flatten bags and stack on a cookie sheet to freeze.


Once they are frozen you can stack them flat or file them like books in your freezer.

To Serve: Thaw in fridge overnight. In the morning dump it into your crock pot and turn on low for the day. If you forget to thaw overnight it's okay, you can crack the frozen chili on the corner of your counter into four pieces and fit it into the crock pot.
This is great in a bowl with some bread. I have also used it to make a salad, over iceberg lettuce with some cheddar cheese and crushed tortilla chips on top. We also used leftovers to make chili cheese nachos...yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment