Thursday, August 5, 2010

Breakfast IS the most important meal of the day!

An awesome Mom I know is heading back to school. Recently she posted on the "Mommy Group" message board looking for suggestions/advice on making meals for the freezer. Although I don't consider myself an expert, I have done lots of research and have lots of experience preparing freezer meals. I was going to put together an e-mail but I thought it would be more fun to do a post a day on the topic (especially since I need some motivation to keep up with my blogging).


So - I thought I would start at the start. Breakfast. This is something I actually came up with myself. I love smoothies but hate the preparation, so I put all the ingredients for my favorite smoothie in zipper bags. I use yogurt in my smoothies so I freeze it in ice cube trays in advance.





Ingredients:

- 1 cup berries

- 2 tablespoons OJ concentrate

- 4 "cubes" of vanilla yogurt

- 1/2 banana

The above list is for one smoothie, obviously I make these in big batches so, I usually have to eyeball what is 1/2 a bananna when I am adding the frozen chunks to the bag. The beauty of smoothies is that it doesn't have to be exact!


Directions:

- dice up bananas and berries and freeze on a wax paper lined cookie sheet

- add all ingredients to a sandwich size zipper bag & store in freezer


To Prepare:

- remove bag from freezer and place in fridge overnight (this is not absolutely necessary but I have found it to be easier on my blender)

- pour 1 cup of cold water into your blender and dump contents of bag on top

- I sometimes throw in some protein powder or groud flax

- blend and enjoy

A few notes:

I keep a larger zipper bag in my freezer. We buy alot of berries for the Miss K and sometimes some get "less than appetizing" before she gets a chance to eat them. When this happens I cut them up (and cut off any "yucky" parts), put them on a plate and lay them in the freezer for an hour or two. Once they are frozen I dump them in the bag. It is important to freeze them on a flat surface first or they end up being one big berry blob that you can't separate. I would imagine you could use alot of different types of fruit this way as well, I have just never tried it.

I buy several tubs of yogurt when it is on sale really cheap ($1/tub), freeze it into cubes and store it in large zipper bags in the freezer for this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment